Friday, June 10, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.; West Chester Event Center
It takes a special person to care for the sick, infirm or elderly. Compassionate and dedicated caregivers who work in Butler, Warren and Hamilton counties will be honored at the fourth annual Caring Like Karen Awards luncheon.
The event committee, formed to honor the late Karen Mason, will accept nominations and applications for caregiver nominees until midnight Monday, May 2.
Mason cared for West Chester resident Patti Alderson’s elderly mother until Mason was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She died of the disease in 2012.
“Karen came to us after she had lost her husband following a long illness,” said Alderson, founder and former president and CEO of the Community Foundation of West Chester/Liberty. “She was an instant fit with my mom and our household and was unsurpassable in the quality of care she provided.”
Full applications should include supporting letters written by people who know the caregiver and explain why he or she is exceptional. Letters should be emailed or mailed to the Caring Like Karen committee through the Community Foundation.
This year, honorees will come from six categories:
- Hospital/hospice: A nurse, respiratory therapist, physical therapist, occupational therapist PSA, nurse’s aide, volunteer or chaplain
- Nursing home/retirement center: Any employee or volunteer who provides care
- Home care: A caregiver with an organization or an independent employee
- Child care: A paid or unpaid person who cares for a child 18 or younger
- Physician: A doctor who is a caregiver for his or her patients and/or the community as a whole
- Family care: An outstanding caregiver for an immediate family member or relative
Each honorees will receive a personal gift valued at $1,000. Gifts are chosen by the nominator, with approval of the Caring Like Karen committee.
Presenting sponsors for the event are Atrium Medical Center, Barrington of West Chester, Comfort Keepers of Cincinnati, Hillandale Family of Communities, Mercy Health, Queen City Home Care and UC Health-West Chester Hospital.
Tickets are $35.
Send letters: Caring Like Karen, Community Foundation of West Chester-Liberty, 8366 Princeton-Glendale Road, Suite A2, West Chester OH 45069; firstname.lastname@example.org
Information: CaringLikeKaren.org or 513-543-1632.