Cincinnati’s Hispanic chamber to receive almost $60,000
Meijer announced Tuesday a donation of $1 million to local affiliates of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce as part of its ongoing commitment to supporting diverse businesses and communities.
The donation will be divided evenly between 17 chambers across the Midwest, including Cincinnati’s.
“Our diversity and inclusion journey focuses not just on our own team members, customers and business partners, but on our communities at large,” said Meijer President & CEO Rick Keyes. “We look forward to seeing how the Hispanic Chambers use our gift to create intergenerational wealth and opportunity for people in our communities.”
The retailer’s donation will support the chambers’ missions of promoting the economic growth, development and interests of Hispanic-owned businesses.
The $1 million donation will be divided equally between the following Hispanic chambers of commerce that provide opportunities to Hispanic-owned businesses:
- Aurora Regional Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Aurora, Ill.
- Economic Strategies Development Corporation in Chicago
- Greater Fort Wayne Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Greater Lansing Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Lansing, Mich.
- Greater Quad Cities Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Moline, Ill.
- Hispanic Chamber Cincinnati USA
- Hispanic Chamber of Columbus, Ohio
- Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee
- Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Latino Chamber of Commerce of Southeastern Wisconsin
- Little Village 26th St. Area Chamber of Commerce in Chicago
- Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Northeast Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Northwest Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Hanover Park, Ill.
- Northwest Ohio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- West Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Wisconsin Latino Chamber of Commerce
This donation is part of the retailer’s 2021 end-of-year donation efforts, totaling $6.5 million that will support its key areas of giving: Hunger Relief, Diversity & Inclusion, Sustainability and Local Giving.
As part of its year-end giving, Meijer previously announced a $1.2 million gift to Boys & Girls Clubs, as well as a $300,000 donation to National Minority Supplier Development Council affiliates across the Midwest.
Meijer is a Grand Rapids, Mich.-based retailer that operates 258 supercenters and grocery stores throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin. A privately-owned and family-operated company since 1934, Meijer pioneered the “one-stop shopping” concept and has evolved through the years to include expanded fresh produce and meat departments, as well as pharmacies, comprehensive apparel departments, pet departments, garden centers, toys and electronics.